Whether you plan on enhancing your nails with acrylics, wraps or just keeping them natural, having healthy nail beds will ensure that they always look their very best.
Nails are made from keratin, a strong, fibrous protein that’s also found in hair, claws, and horse’s hooves, and that grows from under our cuticles. In healthy nails the strands of keratin lock together forming a hard, smooth surface. There shouldn’t be any ridges or discoloration, and they should have a slight natural sheen. Healthy nails means strong nails, so it’s important that if we want nails to be proud of, we look after them.
What can I do to strengthen my nails?
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of wholefoods, fruit and vegetables – especially green, leafy veggies. These are packed with vitamins and minerals, such as iron, calcium and biotin, which can really help your nails stay healthy and strong.
- Always keep your nails clean. Cleaning underneath and around the edges of your nail is particularly important as this is where infections or bacteria can gain access.
- Use a good moisturizer whenever you can – at least twice a day if possible, and massage it all over, including your cuticles.
- Gently file and trim your nails regularly – any snags or rough edges can allow bacteria in.
- Wear gloves whenever you’re dealing with cleaning products, washing up or gardening.
- Nail chewing, picking at your cuticles or pulling off hangnails are definite no-nos!
I have recently discovered a fantastic product – although it’s been popular for years, designed, not only to moisturize your nails, but to improve the health and strength of them – and guess what – it really works. Hard As Hoof Nail Strengthening Cream is a rich, luxurious product from Onyx Professional, that contains coconut, jojoba, vitamins and minerals. Smelling gloriously fresh and tropical, this cream has made a noticeable difference to the condition and strength of my natural nails, and I swear, it’s increased the speed of growth, too. Even with polish on, I still used this around my nails and my cuticles to great effect. With a jar in my bag, I can apply it throughout the day, and my nails always look awesome!