Just like house paint that you can combine to produce different and unique colors, you can concoct your own unique nail polish through mixing different color pigments. This allows you to have at your disposal a wonderful line of nail polish colors that you can wear on your nails for different occasions.
Why not make them as gifts for friends or loved ones, or even think about making your own brand of polishes to sell!
You will need the following when you make your own nail polish:
- Nail topcoat or clear polish
- Mineral eyeshadows in any colors you like
- Glitter is optional
- Paper funnel
Now, here are the steps to making your own nail polish:
- Pour out a third or a fourth of the contents of the nail top coat bottle. This will give you extra room for the eyeshadow and/or the glitters you will pour in. By the way, there are eyeshadows that already come with glitters, so if the colors and the glitters from the eyeshadow already mix, it will save you the trouble.
- Improvise a funnel. You can simply get a piece of thick paper. You’ll need a separate funnel for every color if you’re using several shades.
- Make the eyeshadow mix (with or without glitters). Use a knife to scrape the shadow out of the palette onto a plate, and then to grind the shadow down as fine as you can. Grinding the eyeshadow thoroughly prevents it from clumping.
- Push the powdered eyeshadow inside the nail topcoat container. In the event that the eyeshadow gets stuck at the bottom of the funnel, you can push it with a toothpick. This can be tricky because you need to be quick enough to push the eyeshadow powder into the bottle to prevent the nail polish brush drying out.
- Now that you have everything in your mix, simply shake the nail polish container as thoroughly as possible. This will prevent the nail polish from clumping. Make sure that you try out your mixture as well so that you can adjust the nail polish contents.
Keep in mind that your DIY nail polish may not be perfect at first. It may take you a number of tries before you get your desired color. But just like with anything in life, there is a learning curve! So go ahead and give it a go!
Check out this awesome video on making your own nail polish: